Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
- 1/4 cup Salado Olive Oil Co.'s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 12 slices white bread
- 12 slices aged Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat olive oil, onion and garlic over medium heat 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and translucent.
- Reduce heat to low. Add tomatoes; heat 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add remaining soup ingredients. In blender, place soup mixture. Cover; puree until smooth.
- Spread butter on 1 side of each bread slice. Arrange 6 slices bread, buttered side down, on work surface, and place 2 slices cheese and 2 basil leaves on each bread slice. Top with remaining 6 bread slices, buttered sides up. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook 2 sandwiches at a time over medium heat until golden brown and cheese just melts; repeat for remaining sandwiches. Serve with soup.